I enjoy writing letters. I think there is something really very nice about putting pen to paper. It seems a lot more personal than electronic communication. I sent Kerry a letter yesterday using my last London 2012 stamp. I said to her later on the phone that I thought I maybe should have kept it, but never mind! Along with her parents, Kerry is definitely the main victim of my love for letter-writing!
I think that the bit of effort involved in writing and posting a letter contributes to it being a 'nicer' way to talk to people. Granted I rarely put any of information of substance in letters that will not be repeated on the phone, but I think that it's a good way to let people that you appreciate them! Let's face it, everybody likes to get something in the post! It has to be better to get a letter than the latest Dominoes leaflet.
There is also the fact that in comparison to when I was in school, I don't write very much at all any more. University work has to be typed up, which I'm not a fan of as I can 'think' better when hand writing something! However, as time has gone by I've got used to using my laptop a lot more, and getting my pen out can sometimes feel a little novel if truth be told - and boy do I like novelties!
I meant to buy a postcard today. I did find some, but none of them really jumped out at me. Additionally, I decided that I'm not so sure about postcards any more; there isn't any space to ramble! Of course, the people who receive all of this rubbish from me could potentially be pretty grateful for that! I have, however, promised to send a postcard, and send a postcard I will. I'll get hold of one tomorrow somehow.
The 2012 stamp also happened to be my last first class stamp. I do have a book of second class stamps in my purse, but regardless I bought some more first class while I was in Southampton today. Clearly my love of writing is in conflict with how used I am to the instantaneous nature of more modern forms of communication! I am too impatient to use a second class stamp. Maybe that needs fixing...
Anyway, given that there is a lot more cost, effort and time involved in sending letters, it seems that the information conveyed should be more interesting and relevant in them. I'm not sure that actually works though. I once posted Beth a drawing I had done of a meerkat.
This isn't really going anywhere, it's just thoughts. Oh well.
I think that the bit of effort involved in writing and posting a letter contributes to it being a 'nicer' way to talk to people. Granted I rarely put any of information of substance in letters that will not be repeated on the phone, but I think that it's a good way to let people that you appreciate them! Let's face it, everybody likes to get something in the post! It has to be better to get a letter than the latest Dominoes leaflet.
There is also the fact that in comparison to when I was in school, I don't write very much at all any more. University work has to be typed up, which I'm not a fan of as I can 'think' better when hand writing something! However, as time has gone by I've got used to using my laptop a lot more, and getting my pen out can sometimes feel a little novel if truth be told - and boy do I like novelties!
I meant to buy a postcard today. I did find some, but none of them really jumped out at me. Additionally, I decided that I'm not so sure about postcards any more; there isn't any space to ramble! Of course, the people who receive all of this rubbish from me could potentially be pretty grateful for that! I have, however, promised to send a postcard, and send a postcard I will. I'll get hold of one tomorrow somehow.
The 2012 stamp also happened to be my last first class stamp. I do have a book of second class stamps in my purse, but regardless I bought some more first class while I was in Southampton today. Clearly my love of writing is in conflict with how used I am to the instantaneous nature of more modern forms of communication! I am too impatient to use a second class stamp. Maybe that needs fixing...
Anyway, given that there is a lot more cost, effort and time involved in sending letters, it seems that the information conveyed should be more interesting and relevant in them. I'm not sure that actually works though. I once posted Beth a drawing I had done of a meerkat.
This isn't really going anywhere, it's just thoughts. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment