Wednesday, 8 May 2013

A (mid-exam-season) summers' day!

I had my first exam of the year on Friday. Actually, I only have two this year which suits me just fine!! However, as per every other year that I've had summer exams, the weather has suddenly perked up and all I want to do is sit outside in the sun! The ins and outs of "Society, Culture and Space" don't really appeal to me as a decent alternative, to be honest!

Maia is not impressed with my having to revise. She is WAY more interested in having spur-of-the-moment dancing competitions with me.  It's strange, she always finds it really funny when I have a go... I think my 'dad-dancing-esque' moves are medal-worthy.
I find that there's something about academic writing that manages to make even the most interesting subject matter a chore to read about! I also find that if there is something I need to do, every other thing that I could possibly do suddenly seem a lot more interesting! I actually started doing some more reading for my dissertation* over the long weekend. Whilst this is a fairly productive form of procrastination, it demonstrates very well my inability to prioritise revision!! Additionally, I doubt very much that in the light of my exams being over my dissertation will seem nearly as stimulating a past time.

There are several things I should take into account when revising:

  1. Exams don't last forever. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  2. Every day you put of starting is another day that you lose out on! Time doesn't stop while you work up the motivation to open a book (however much you wish for it, Bernard's watch isn't going to turn up on your doorstep. Sigh).
  3. Watching old episodes of Bernard's Watch on YouTube is a WASTE OF TIME!!
However, I'm quite lucky in that I perpetually underestimate how much work I do over the year. When I put my dissertation notes away, I discovered that this really is a case of "revising," rather than the first-time "-vising" I'd been imagining. And thank goodness for that!

*My dissertation deadline is January 2014. I DO need to do reading and carry out my research this summer (and I'm planning on getting as much writing as I can do, done). However, I have until September to faff about with it, and can't really justify wasting precious revision time on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment