A little bit more rubbish from my book of stupid-things-that-happened-to-me-around-the-time-I-finished-6th-form. The last one was paraphrased a little. This is copied word-for-word.
So yeah. I said I'd go to Tesco's for my mum, just to be nice. I'm not planning on going again any time soon! In fact, after the horrific experience of attempting to cart around a heavy trolley with dodgy wheels (I'm of the opinion that supermarket trolleys should have their own categories on driving licences), added to by the perilous task of having to navigate through a supermarket full of shoppers similarly incompetent with their own trolleys, I fully intend to live for the rest of my life on Dominoes home delivery and be done with it.
The trip actually started pretty well. Or,'well' to the extent that at least nobody added to the ever-extending list of people who have hit my car! However, once I'd got into the shop and got the list out of my bag, things took an instant turn for the worse. I ended up going up and down a single isle for about ten minutes, stuck in a vicious circle of seeing something on the list that was located around there, searching for it, finding it, trying to carry on and then seeing something else on the list which I had already passed several times and had to go back to.
This probably makes it sound as if I had never been to the supermarket before. Actually, I know this particular branch of Tesco pretty well, and have often done supermarket-shopping. I decided that the issue had arisen largely because I had no idea what was on the list. I read it and was on my way, managing fairly well for a while. It seems, however, that nothing can be that simple for me and I soon hit another snag. I picked up some heavy stuff and realised that I was about to put it on top of some very-easily-squished stuff. Ever resourceful, I rearranged my trolley and carried on.
The next problem I encountered was when I got to the last item on the list and realised I had absolutely no idea where puff pastry might be kept. Knowing that it has to be kept in the fridge, I headed to the cold section where butter etc is kept, but had no luck. I proceeded to home baking, and still saw no sign of it. At this point, I considered asking someone, but they all looked pretty scary so I trudged back to the first isle and searched them all (although quite why I thought puff pastry might be kept with items ranging from carrots to DVDs to vodka I don't know)!
Eventually, after a fruitless search I decided that it would probably be in my best interest to go and ask the Tesco people, however scary they were. This was not the case. The guy I asked looked at me with a "what the hell is puff pastry?" look on his face so I backed off, apologising.
At this point, the puff pastry issue took a momentary break as I became preoccupied with something much (MUCH) worse. Someone from my year at school showed up. I perfectly executed some ninja shopper moves, despite the trolley, and hid in a different isle before I was noticed and had to make small talk/exchange awkward smiles with someone I had never got on with in the first place. This reaction ended up being to my advantage as I was able to stop and think a bit about where puff pastry might be kept. Coming to the conclusion that as it's made of butter, the butter isle would be an appropriate place to keep it I made my way back to the very place I had started my search. Lo and behold, it was right in front of me.
Fortunately I managed to pay and get out without much more fuss. The only other issue I had was the fact that I'd spent so long in there that the Costa Coffee outlet in the shop had closed, and so I had to go without the vanilla frappe I'd been promising myself the whole way round!
No comments:
Post a Comment